MENU THE ARTS SOCIETY BETCHWORTH
Click here to view future visits

DateVisit
19 June 2019Folkington Manor and Michelham Priory.
15 May 2019Lancing College & Parham House
17 April 2019The Queen's House & Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
19 March 2019Armourer's Hall & the Guildhall
25 October 2018Glyndebourne: Cendrillon
18 September 2018Spitalfields Walk with Andrew Davies.
20 June 2018Audley End, Essex
22 May 2018Knole Sevenoaks, Kent
17 April 2018Watts Gallery, Compton, Surrey
20 March 2018British Museum Exhibition (to be confirmed)
07 November 2017Tate Britain - Impressionists in Britain Exhibition
11 October 2017Glyndebourne: The Barber of Seville.
04 September 2017Skinners Hall and Globe Theatre Tour
27 June 2017Mapledurham House and Mill
30 May 2017Provender House and Ightam Moat
19 April 2017St Pancras Walk with Andrew Davies
21 March 2017Middle Temple and The Royal Courts of Justice
08 November 2016Tate Britain - Paul Nash Exhibition
20 October 2016Glyndebourne: Madame Butterfly
20 September 2016Salisbury Cathedral
22 June 2016Chagall Windows at Tudeley Church & Pashley Manor Gardens
10 May 2016Kenwood House
17 March 2016Windsor Castle
10 November 2015National Portrait Gallery
13 October 2015Glyndebourne: Don Pasquale
23 September 2015City Nooks, Crannies and Samuel Pepys - a London Walk with Andrew Davies
24 June 2015Strawberry Hill
21 May 2015Mary Rose and Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Details to be confirmed.
22 April 2015Apsley House and Wellington Arch
25 March 2015Theatre Backstage and Matinee Performance. Details to be confirmed
12 November 2014Rembrandt Exhibition, National Gallery.
09 October 2014Glyndebourne: Mozart's 'La Finta Giardiniera'
18 September 2014Walmer Castle and Gardens, and Deal
18 June 2014Beaulieu: Abbey, House and Motor Museum
22 May 2014Four More Romney Marsh Churches
09 April 2014Cambridge: am Walk, pm The Fitzwilliam Museum
06 March 2014Paul Klee exhibition at Tate Modern
06 November 2013Turner in Brighton exhibition at the Royal Pavilion
16 October 2013Glyndebourne: L'Elisir d'Amore by Donizetti
18 September 2013Dulwich Picture Gallery and Eltham Palace.
21 May 2013Belmont House and Doddington Place Gardens, Faversham
18 April 2013Oxford for Ashmolean Museum and Stained Glass Walk
13 March 2013Southwark Cathedral & the Mansion House
15 November 2012Museum of London
12 October 2012Glyndebourne: The Marriage of Figaro
20 September 2012River and Rowing Museum, Henley - on - Thames and Greys Court (NT)

Click on a row and scroll to display more details about the visit

Folkington Manor and Michelham Priory.
Wednesday 19 June 2019

Booking April


Folkington Manor was built in 1843 by the architect W.J Donthorne, near the site of a manor that was recorded in the Domesday Book. The previous manor was home to Viscount Monckton in the 14th century, advisor to King Edward III. The Place, as it was formerly called, is a site of some antiquity, having been the seat of the Culpepers in James I's reign and later of the Dobell family, from whom it was bought in about 1650 by Sir William Thomas, of West Dean with the adjoining manor of Wootton.

The old house was largely demolished circa 1820. In 1838, Folkington together with the manor at nearby Wootton were bought by Thomas Sheppard, M.P for Frome, who thereupon built the present manor at a new site slightly to the north. Folkington Place, situated on the original manorial site, retains some architectural elements of the pre-1820 manor.

Folkington has had a close connection with art for some time – a tradition which continues to this day with the Manor containing a number of galleries suitable for displaying large amounts of fine art. Indeed the well known Long Man of Wilmington stands in the distance on Windover Hill. The Stacy-Marks family bought the property in the late 1960s and the Flint Rooms were the core of the well-respected art business that has flourished for many years. In Autumn 2010 the Manor was purchased by Dr. Henry (Harry) Otto Brünjes and Mrs Jacqueline Brünjes and has recently undergone a complete restoration.

The herbalist Nicholas Culpeper lived in the village in the 17th century.

Michelham Priory is the site of a former Augustine Priory in Upper Dicker, East Sussex. The surviving buildings are owned and administered by the Sussex Archaeological Society and are Grade I and Grade II listed.

A T-shaped stone-built structure, the east and north wings date from the 13th century and the west wing from the 16th century. The north wing, originally the Priors Lodging, comprises three storeys with an attic and the other two wings two storeys. The roof is tiled. The whole is surrounded by a moat, enclosing an area of almost 8 acres (3.2 ha).

A watermill in the grounds of the priory has been restored to working order and is open to the public.